If you ask my grand kids what I should bring to our weekly dinner, they would all scream (because that is their only tone) PASTA SALAD!
Apparently, as my step son was growing up, I lucked upon a pasta salad recipe that was a staple for him and it has passed on to his kids.
It is truly easy and very flavorful. It does rely on a purchased spice mix, but I have included the spices that make up the mix instead.
You can exchange any of the vegetables for anything you like or have on hand but peas and broccoli are a must for Michael.
Michael's Pasta Salad
1 lb box of large shell pasta or any combination of pasta shapes you like, but this is our standard
8 oz Kraft's Zesty Italian Dressing - or any Italian or Greek Dressing of your choice
3 Tablespoons McCormick"s Salad Supreme OR
1 Tablespoon Everything But The Bagel Spice mix
1 teaspoon paprika ( I sometimes use smoked paprika)
1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse freshly ground black pepper (or more to taste)
1 dash cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese (or parm in a pinch)
1/2 diced red onion
1 cup chopped broccoli florets
1 cup frozen peas (no need to thaw or cook)
1 diced red pepper
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1 cup chopped cucumber
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add pasta, cooking according to package instructions (usually 9-12 minutes).
Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking process.
Put drained pasta into big bowl and mix in dressing. Mix spices together in small bowl and add and mix in (or add Salad Supreme).
Add in chopped veggies, stir and chill in frig for an hour or two to meld flavors.
Makes enough for a big gathering…or just enough for my three grand
kids.
This looks good and I will try it. I like the idea of peas as I haven’t used them in pasta salad before but I always have them ready in the freezer.
ReplyDeleteOk, I made this with Lois yesterday but in a senior moment I forgot to add the peas. Luckily there is still plenty left so there will be peas in it the next time it goes on the table. Tri-color pasta and purple cauliflower made it extra colorful. The smoked paprika was a nice touch. Yummy!
ReplyDeleteWhat actually happened was I sat at the breakfast bar with a glass of wine & watched while Lynn made the pasta salad. It was very yummy!
ReplyDelete