Quite a few years ago (like over 20), I had the great fortune to meet my idols - Jacques Pepin and the legend herself, Julia Childs, at a book signing in Baltimore.I bought several copies of their new book - "Julia and Jacques Cook at Home" and had them autograph them for me. But I didn't stop there - I brought 35 of my collection of their cookbooks and they gratiously autographed them. I did something else too… I had purchased the first Harry Potter book for my son and it was in the autograph pile. When Jacques saw the book he was confused - I told him about the purpose and he laughed, saying that he had wanted to pick up a copy for himself. I told him I would be honored to gift him the book. He countered with autographing a copy for my son and had me autograph his copy. He then invited me to come upto New York and attend a few classes at the French Culinary Institute, where he taught. Alas, I never took him up on it, but this was certainly a highlight of my culinary life.
Sadly, a week ago, he lost his beautiful wife (Gloria) of 54 years. This is one of my most favorite, simple recipes of his and I offer (slightly adjusted) as a tribute to him.
To Jacques - HAPPY COOKING! (his trademark saying)
Asparagus en Fete a Jacques
1 1/2 pounds of asparagus ( about 20 stalks), peeling and trimmed
1 cup water
3/4 cup black olives (sliced in halves), kalamata are great here but regular is good as well
2 tablespoons drained capers
1 ripe tomato, seeded and cut into 1/2 dice
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, flat-leaf is best, divided
Lemon- Mustard Sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Steam asparagus in 1 cup of water in saucepan until just tender but firm ( 4-6 minutes).
Spread out asparagus in single layer to cool. When cool enough to handle, measure about 5 inches from top and cut the stalks, cutting the bottom portions into 1 inch dice.
Add olives, capers, tomato and all but 1 tablespoon parsley with diced asparagus to bowl.
Starting at the bottom, use a sharp knife to split the stalks, just up to the tips.
Combine sauce ingredients (except oil) in small bowl. In a steady slow stream, wisk in the oil. Pour 1/2 over mix vegetable mix and stir to combine
Plating - on 5 salad plates, arrange four asparagus stalks with tips extended to edge of plate and carefully open up split portions to overlap adjoining stalk in compass presentation (creating frame). If serving 4, use 5 asparagus stalks and arrange in star pattern. Spoon vegetable mixture in center, add some more sauce and top with parsley.
Elegant, easy and delicious.
Thank you Jacques and Julia for all of your inspiration!


What a great story! Nice picture of you with your idols too.
ReplyDelete