Sunday, February 7, 2021

"2" Ingredient Pumpkin Cupcakes


Ok - well that is not how it went for me but it was a great starting point and it did come together super fast! We all have heard of doctoring cake mixes for a fast and easy dessert.
So that is what I did after seeing an episode from The Kitchen this weekend.
It called for a spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin and nothing else. Intrigued, but armed only with a box of yellow cake mix, I added in the spices and just two other ingredients and was impressed.
Of course I had to add a "2" ingredient frosting to the top that I only slightly altered. The results became a not overly sweet cross between muffins and cake. Enjoy.


1 box of yellow cake mix (or spice if you remembered to buy it-then leave out the spices)
1 14 oz can of pumpkin 
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
1 medium carrot shredded
1/3 cup dried cranberries

Mix cake mix, pumpkin, spices, extract and water with a hand mixer for 2 minutes. Fold in carrot and cranberries. Fill cupcake pans with liners and fill to 2/3rds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or the internal temperature is around 205 degrees. Cool. Frost as per below:

"2" Ingredient Frosting

1 8 oz package of cream cheese frosting, softened (I cheat by unwrapping and putting it on a paper plate and microwaving for 30 seconds or so)
3 cups confectioners sugar (or to desired consistency)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons half and half or milk
pinch of salt
1/2 cup roughly chopped toasted walnuts**

Mix first five items with hand mixer . Frost cooled cupcakes and top with toasted walnuts.

** I was running out of time and looked up how to toast nuts in the microwave. It was so easy. I put the walnuts on a paper plate and microwaved at one minute intervals until they were fragrant and toasted. Mind blown.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pecan -Chocolate Chip Oat Biscotti

Pecan -Chocolate Chip Oat Biscotti  Okay, raise your hand if you knew that biscotti is a plural noun and that the singular is biscotto. You’...