Monday, January 11, 2021

Magic Dust Seasoning

In December when frozen turkeys were cheap I bought one to keep in the freezer to be cooked at a later date, anticipating taking packages of cooked meat with us on an upcoming boat trip. I thawed it last week and butterflied it  (cut out the backbone so the two halves can lay flat on a baking pan). Each half of the turkey just barely fit on a half sheet pan.  After rubbing it with oil  I decided to season each half differently to add some variety to the offerings in the freezer.

One half received the traditional Thanksgiving turkey treatment: poultry seasoning, extra sage, black pepper, lemon zest.  

The second half I rubbed with Magic Dust Seasoning to give a slightly BBQ taste. Boy was it good!  I tweeked the recipe a bit because, you know, I can't leave well enough alone.  I substituted brown sugar for granulated and doubled the amount.  I cut the cumin by half to avoid a southwest feel.  I added 1 tsp of white pepper. Below I give you the recipe as it came to me from  https://www.thespruceeats.com/magic-dust-spice-rub-335886

Yum.


1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup Kosher salt (finely ground)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne

Mix all ingredients together and store in a tightly covered container.

Use with your choice of beef, chicken, pork, fish, seafood, or vegetables.
Store in a covered jar or air tight plastic container for up to 1 year after preparation​.
Keep some in a shaker next to the grill or stove for easy use.
In addition to seasoning food at the table, this mixture can be used as a dry rub on beef, chicken, pork, fish, seafood, and vegetables.
To make it a little more hot and spicy, increase the mustard powder and black pepper to 1/4 cup each.


1 comment:

  1. You all are pushing out delicious sounding recipes faster than I can try them! This recipe looks similar to a spice mix I buy at the Farmer’s Market in St Augustine. Will have to try it with your modifications.

    ReplyDelete

Pecan -Chocolate Chip Oat Biscotti

Pecan -Chocolate Chip Oat Biscotti  Okay, raise your hand if you knew that biscotti is a plural noun and that the singular is biscotto. You’...