My husband pointed to a pot roast recipe and said "Can we try this?" We very, very rarely have a meat'n'potato meal, despite the fact that I grew up outside of St Louis MO where that's the typical every day menu. Even though I enjoy a very different way of cooking now, I do love the memory of my mom's pot roast & mashed potatoes swimming in savory gravy. This recipe is a bit different from my childhood meal though. Cooked in an Instant Pot, flavored with pickled peppers and dill.
It couldn't be easier- brown the roast, dump everything into the Instant Pot and go read a book for an hour until dinner's ready. We whipped up some mashed potatoes (skins-on) and a side of green beans. Pretty doggone simple. And very tasty!
Before:
After:
Honestly I think the butter is unnecessary, so save some calories & consider omitting it. If you don't have the ranch dressing and au jus packets in your cupboard I have given my substitutions. I thickened the gravy with some additional cornstarch before serving.
Mississippi Pot Roast (Instant Pot)
3 lb beef roast
1 Tbl canola oil
1 large yellow onion cut into 1/2" vertical slices
1 pkt Ranch dressing mix*
1 pkt beef au jus gravy mix*
6 whole pepperocini or 1/4 pickled cherry pepper slices plus 4 Tbl brine
1 cup beef broth*
2 Tbl unsalted butter
Sear roast in canola on saute setting of the Instant Pot. Once seared, add onion slices, dry ingredients, peppers, beef broth and butter. Seal Instant Pot, cancel the saute setting, and reset for 40 minutes on high pressure without venting. When cooking time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally.
*If you don't have ranch dressing mix, substitute:
2 Tbl buttermilk powder (I suggest you whisk this into 1/4 cu beef broth to make sure it dissolves properly)
1-1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried dill
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the au jus mix, substitute:
3 beef boullion cubes
1 tsp dried parsley
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl corn starch
For the beef broth, substitute:
1 beef boullion cube dissolved in 1 cup water
No comments:
Post a Comment