Christmas salad
Now that the holidays are here and we are relying on memories rather than in person celebrations, I am reflecting on the traditions of yesteryear.
I am not sure why I call this Christmas salad, except that my sister in law (Kate) made it for our annual Christmas dinner at her house. This was a lovely tradition,with all of the in-laws, kids, cousins, nieces and nephews, totaling up to 25 or more. The noise level was insane and I really miss it. This salad was presented every year, is super easy, festive and delicious.
It reminds me of so many wonderful times. I will make it this year in honor of Kate and hope you will too.
2 Boston lettuces, ends cut off, leaves separated and torn if large, washed and spun dried
1 can mandarin oranges- 12-16 oz, drained
1/2 thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup toasted almond slices ( I toast on a sheet pan in a single layer at 375 for 7 minutes - or until fragrant but not burned…which I am sadly famous for)
1/2 cup chopped celery (optional)
Toss lettuce, oranges (save a dozen or so for decoration) and red onions in a large serving bowl.
Top with cranberries, almond slices and celery (I don't mix in as they all fall to the bottom)
Arrange remaining oranges in circular pattern in center of salad to make it look extra special.
JUST BEFORE SERVING (as this type of lettuce wilts very quickly), toss with 1/2 cup (or more if necessary) of poppy seed dressing, either homemade or store bought.
Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment